Catching a glimpse of what’s left of these Summer beauties.
On a gloomy day like today, we sure could use a little something to lighten the mood.
I am leaving for California (something to do with my day job) on Sunday, so I may be slow on responding or commenting for the next couple of weeks. I plan on bringing the camera with me so I am hoping I’ll get a chance to take some photos while I’m there. I’d be free to do whatever I please on weekends so let’s see what happens. In the meantime, enjoy the rest of the week, dear friends!
I figured since I haven’t posted a floral shot in a while, I’d show you one from the archive. It was re-processed with the matte effect applied. One of the things I like about this effect is that it brings out the punch in the colors even without tweaking the saturation. That’s exactly what happened on this image, as soon as I applied the Lightroom preset that I created, I saw the transformation. The color became more vivid and a lot closer to the real thing. I didn’t do much after that, but now that I see it again, I think I will re-process it one more time to remove the bluish tint on the shadows.
This is the good thing about digital photography and shooting RAW, is that as long as I am not altering the original file, I can process and re-process the image as often as I want to get the desired effect that pleases me. I am constantly looking for ways to improve my craft since I think this is the only way I can personally grow as a photographer.
I am always in the lookout for an opportunity for a good flower photo. Since I do not have a garden, I usually get my fix from taking a peek at my neighbors’ or visiting the nearby park where the lawn is perfectly trimmed and the flowers are gracefully blooming.
This one above was taken at the bird sanctuary. It was the only columbine plant I noticed in the area, nestled between a row of thick shrubs and a tree. It looked a little out-of-place. It seemed to be thriving pretty well though, perhaps it felt protected from the elements.
I took the photo with my 70-200mm lens, zoomed in to 155mm to isolate the background. It did the trick, but I wanted a specific look, so I added more blur in post, this way only the subject itself is clearly visible. The intention was to make it so that it appears as if it is floating off the page.
For today’s Phoneography Challenge, I have wandered over to my neighbor’s little garden to photograph some of the flowers that are currently in bloom. I have neglected my own because of some recurring health issue, so my outdoor plants aren’t quite as nice this year.
Both images were taken with the iPhone 4S and processed with the Snapseed app, which is probably my favorite editing app (aside from Instagram). If you noticed, both photos have the outer blur, this was added to bring better emphasis on the parts of the subject that I think are more interesting. I find that this works rather well especially for macro shots using the iPhone or any mobile phone for that matter.
For more Phoneography Challenge post, check out Sally’s blog at Lens & Pens by Sally; and Polly’s blog at Watching Photo Reels. Of course, you are more than welcome to join as well, just click here for more info.
Seems that the changing weather and fluctuating temps got the best of me. No matter how careful I am, I picked up a nasty flu virus over the weekend. This put me out of commission since Sunday afternoon, and pretty much rendered me useless for three whole days.
I am so sorry for missing iPhoneography Monday and Texture Tuesday and Wordless Wednesday. Ugh! I am better today though, thank God! Still got the sniffles, but I should be in a much better state very soon. I have a lot of catching up to do, so I am going to start with iPhoneography Monday (Thursday in my case).
This photo was taken last year outside the doors of a restaurant in NY. It was impossible to miss the cheerful colors and lovely blooms that greet you on your way in and bid you farewell on your way out. I think they best represent Nature at its finest.